Guitar and Bass Bodies
Lam Top Bodies
Our standard lam top bodies feature high grade figured woods all the time.
Almost any guitar or bass body style can be had as a lam top. Tops with a thickness of 1/8" can be bent over a forearm contour using a vacuum suction system. We use 1/4" tops on semi-hollow construction bodies, and bodies without forearm contours. Lam top S bodies have a slightly less pronounced forearm contour than non lam tops.
We generally use flame or quilted maple for lam tops, but from time to time, other woods are available. Please contact us for alternate top pricing and availability.
Neck Pocket Routing
Guitar bodies: Neck pockets on all guitar bodies are milled to standard dimensions (2.19" ~= 2-3/16" wide).
On S or T style bodies, we offer two additional neck pocket options:
- 2-1/4" wide pocket to fit standard 25-1/2" scale Sharv-Hell necks (or spec out a neck from us with the slightly wider heel)
- Our exclusive wide neck pocket measuring 2-5/16" to accommodate our super wide 1-7/8" nut width neck
Bass bodies: Neck pockets on 4 string bass bodies measure 2-1/2" wide. 5 string bass bodies have a 2-7/8" wide neck pocket.
Either square or rounded pockets are interchangeable on any body style at no additional cost.
Control Cavity Routing
The standard rear routed control cavity is sized so that there is enough room to fit an assortment of pots and switches without removing too much wood. All rear rout bodies include a black plastic control plate cover. We also offer a rout for a battery box, if you need to have easy access to swap out a battery. Rear rout bodies cost an additional $20.
We have 4 different rear rout cavity styles:
Standard Rear Rout
Offset Rear Rout
Hot Dog Rear Rout
Sharv-Hell Rear Rout
Bridge and Pickup Routs
- Strat Flat - Vintage
- Strat Flat - 7/8 for tighter string spacing
- Tele Flat - Vintage
- Tele Hum Flat
- American Std Tele Bridge
- American Std Hardtail
- Gotoh Strat Hardtail (5 screw mount, solid saddles)
- Hipshot Flatmount Hardtail
- Gotoh 12 String (including offset rear string ferrules)
- Rio Grande Twangbucker Pickup/Bridge
- Schaller 475 Flatmount
- TOM (.27, .44, .125 TOM Studs - .5, .44 STP Studs)
- Gotoh 510 Wraparound (.43" dia studs)
- Tonepros Wraparound (.44" dia studs)
- Hipshot Baby Grand (.44" dia studs)
- Schaller "Hannes" bridge
- TV Jones TV Savalas Bridge
- 2 Hole Trem
- 6 Hole Trem
- Skyway Trem
- Am Std Trem (.38" dia studs)
- Hipshot Trem(.38" dia studs)
- Wilkinson Trem (.38" dia studs)
- Orig Floyd (.39" dia studs)
- Orig Recessed Floyd (.39" dia studs)
- Schaller Floyd - Recessed (.39" dia studs)
- Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Bass VI Bridge (.34" dia studs) with Floating trem
- Original Bigsby B-5 (USA) (.355" dia studs)
- Licensed Bigsby B-50 (Import) (.355" dia studs)
Please note: Different mounting hole positions are used for the B-5 and B-50 Bigsby vibratos. Be sure you know which one you've got before ordering.
- Strat Single Coil
- EMG Single Coil
- Tele Bridge Single Coil
- Tele Neck Single Coil
- P-90 Soapbar
- Humbucker mounted to wood
- Slanted humbucker (ring mount - bridge position only)
- Mini Humbucker
- Filtertron (specify w/ or w/o mounting ring)
- Rio Grande Twangbucker Pickup/Bridge
- Standard Fender
- Gotoh 206
- Schaller 496
- Hipshot 4-19mm
- Hipshot 4-20mm
- 51 P - Vintage
- Schaller 463
- Allparts BB 357
- Badass Bass II
- Badass Bass V
- Hipshot 5-18mm
- Hipshot 5-19mm
- Hipshot 5-21mm
- Allparts BB 3460 (Gotoh Quik Release)
- Split P
- Jazz (front and rear positions)
- Vintage 51-P Single coil
- Musicman Humbucker (4/5 str)
- EMG 35 Series (89mm wide)
- EMG 40 Series (102mm wide)
- EMG 45 Series (115mm wide)
- Fralin 5
There are some other custom bass pickups we have programmed. Let us know what you want - we may just have it.
Body Contours and Edge Radius Options
Certain body shapes have a classic design to which we have all become accustomed. S bodies are rounded on the edges and have super comfortable rib and forearm contours. T bodies are sharp and dig into your arm and ribs (but it's a good pain!). We know that not every player likes to stick to these traditional designs, so we offer contours and custom edge radii on most of our body styles.
On bodies that do not normally have forearm contour or rib cut, we can add them for $15 each.
Contoured heel is optional for easier access to the higher frets. Requires shortened neck mounting screws to keep them from exiting through the face of the fingerboard. Don't laugh. We've seen it happen. It ain't pretty! Contoured heel upcharge is $25
Binding on a flat surface - $72 per side
Binding on a carved top - $90 per side
Drop top binding = binding on a forearm contour. A labor intensive process will cost an additional $120
All binding on bodies is approximately .080" thickness. Available in Ivoroid, Cream, Black, or White plastic.
Edge Radius Options
Edge radius measures the "roundness" of the body edge.
We offer the following custom options on most bodies (in order of roundest to sharpest):
Standard edge radii
- S Bodies - 1/2" edge radius
- T Bodies - 3/16" edge radius
- Dinky S (top rout w/pickguard) - 3/16" edge radius
- Jazzymaster and similar bodies - 1/2" edge radius
- Pea and Jay Bass bodies - 1/2" edge radius
Quality tonewoods are available here at USA Custom Guitars. Alder, Swamp Ash, Mahogany and the many flavors of Maple are our preferred body woods.
We don't normally stock "exotic" woods such as bubinga, wenge, goncalo, limba (korina), etc., but we will custom craft a body or neck made of these woods supplied by you. Pricing for bodies made from your wood is the same as a comparably styled Alder body. Please contact us for more information regarding body blank or board ft dimensions.
Here are some subjective descriptions of the woods we use for our bodies based on years of building, playing and listening.